Applied Language Institute (ALI)
5301 Rockhill Road
The Applied Language Institute’s (ALI) mission is to offer comprehensive English-to-Speakers-of-Other-Languages (ESOL) instruction for academic, personal or professional purposes as well as language acquisition and cross-cultural classes and seminars. In addition, the Institute aims to provide students with an understanding of U.S. cultures and values, particularly within the educational environment, while acknowledging and valuing students' own cultures and languages.
Our intensive ESOL program offers up to 25 hours of instruction per week in Listening/Speaking, Reading/Vocabulary, Grammar and Writing. Classes are small and offered at all levels of instruction from beginning through advanced. In addition, students have access to a multimedia language resource center. Our teaching and administrative staff is friendly, supportive, and understanding of the needs of international students in the United States.
Regular programs run from late August through December (Fall), January through May (Spring), and June and July (Summer). Additionally, the ALI offers a variety of specialized short-term and group programs that include language and cultural/academic education.
English Proficiency Requirement
Proficiency in English is essential to success in academic programs at UMKC. The ALI’s role at UMKC is to ensure that all non-native English speakers either already have, or have an opportunity to acquire, these necessary skills. Prior to enrollment, newly admitted ALI students and international academically-admitted students who have a TOEFL score below 100 or an IELTS score below 6.5 are required to take the CALIOPE English evaluation examination administered by the ALI. Based on their CALIOPE results, students must enroll in and successfully complete the ALI coursework indicated as necessary. For academic students, coursework is determined by the ALI in consultation with the student's academic unit.
The only international students exempted from this admissions policy are:
- Native English speakers from English-speaking countries such as Canada, England, the Republic of Ireland, Australia and New Zealand.
- Non-native English speakers who hold degrees or diplomas from post-secondary institutions in English-speaking countries (such as the United States, Canada, England, the Republic of Ireland, Australia and New Zealand), provided that they have spent a minimum of two years of successful full-time study and English was the medium of instruction.
Grades and GPA
All ALI coursework is graded according to UMKC policies and is used in the calculation of a student’s grade point average (GPA).
- Academic Probation and Ineligibility
- Academic status is assessed at the end of every term, whether the student is full time or part time for that term.
- A summer session is considered the same as a semester for the purpose of determining academic actions.
- Students are notified of academic actions via their UMKC e-mail address.
- Students will be placed on academic probation if their GPA falls below 2.0.
- Once students are placed on academic probation, they have two semesters to raise their cumulative GPA to the level required (2.0 for undergraduate students, 3.0 for graduate students).
- During those two semesters, students term GPA must be at least 2.0 for undergraduate students and 3.0 for graduate students to be allowed to continue. (Note: some academic units may have higher GPA requirements.)
- Students who fail to meet the criteria as stated above will be ineligible to re-enroll without permission of the College of Arts and Sciences Academic Standards Committee
- ALI students registered as pass/fail, who fail two (or more courses) during an academic term, will be placed on academic probation.
- Students who are placed on academic probation must not fail the same two (or more courses) during the following academic semester.
- Students who fail to meet the criteria as stated above will be ineligible to re-enroll without permission of the College of Arts and Sciences Academic Standards Committee.