BS/MS CS in Five Years
The School of Computing and Engineering established the BS/MS program to offer students an opportunity to meet the full requirements of the existing BS and MS degree programs in a shorter time period than the separate degree programs by completing a B.S. degree within four years and then completing an M.S. degree in the fifth year.
Computer Science (BS)/(MS):
- Students admitted to the program will receive the SCE BS/MS Scholarship which will cover the difference between Graduate and Undergraduate tuition rates
- Students are required to maintain full-time undergraduate enrollment (minimum 12 hours/ semester)
- Must be continuously enrolled from BS to MS programs (must enter graduate program the semester following completion of BS degree requirements)
- Students are required to maintain full-time enrollment (minimum 9 hours/semester) in the graduate phase of the program and complete the master's degree within a year of their bachelor's degree completion to continue to receive the BS/MS Scholarship
Admission Requirements for BS/MS Program:
Students must meet the following requirements to be eligible:
- The GRE will be waived for students who meet the qualifications above and are planning to enroll in the BS/MS program
- Students must indicate their interest and apply to the program no later than the end of their junior year
- Students must complete 30 hours at SCE prior to admission to the BS/MS program
- Students are expected to follow the recommended curriculum (although deviations are possible) and must maintain: UMKC cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher
This program offers students an opportunity to meet the full requirements of the existing BS and MS degree programs in a shorter time period than the separate degree programs by completing a B.S. degree in Computer Science within four years, and then completing an M.S. degree in Computer Science in their fifth year. Please contact our department for additional information or clarification on the information below by calling (816) 235-1193, or sending an e-mail to mailto:email@example.com.
The UMKC General Education Core is the university-wide curriculum that all undergraduate students will complete. The 30-credit hour core curriculum includes three course types designated as Anchor, Discourse and Focus and is detailed in the General Education section of the catalog.
Every undergraduate student must take a course covering the United States Constitution and the Missouri State Constitution before graduation. Course options are included in the program requirements section below.
Candidates for all baccalaureate degrees must complete the online UMKC RooWriter Writing Assessment after they have passed Discourse 200 (or its equivalent) but before they have attained 90 credit hours. Incoming transfer students with more than 90 credit hours must complete the RooWriter by the end of their first semester of enrollment or within one semester after passing Discourse 200 (or its equivalent). Students who have not completed the RooWriter Writing Assessment within two semesters after passing Discourse 200 (or its equivalent) will be blocked from enrollment until they successfully complete the RooWriter. Additional information is available in the Undergraduate Academic Regulations and Information section of the catalog.
Information on exit examinations and/or major field exams is available in the Undergraduate Academic Regulations and Information section of the catalog.
Requirements for Graduation
Credit Hour Requirements
The BS and MS program in Computer Science requires:
- 120 Undergraduate Credit Hours,
- 24 Graduate Credit Hours,
- 6 General Elective hours that can be satisfied at any level,
- 150 Total Credit Hours.
The academic requirements for both degrees are identical to the requirements for the two degrees when considered separately, with a few additions and exceptions.
- Students enrolled in the plan must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA for all UMKC coursework.
- Students must receive a minimum grade of C (2.0) in every undergraduate course attempted in the CSEE Department.
- Students must receive a minimum grade of B (3.0) for every graduate course attempted in the CSEE Department.
- Students should follow the recommended sample program in order to graduate within five years, but variations are possible.
For additional details, please contact our Department by phone (816) 235-1193 or by e-mail mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tools for Planning and Fulfilling Academic Requirements
UMKC's Major Maps are detailed, semester by semester plans that lead a student to complete all degree requirements within four years. Plans include benchmarks and critical courses by term that assist a student’s evaluation of progress and major “fit”. In order to ensure that the appropriate courses are taken, students are encouraged to consult with the undergraduate advisor for this major.
UMKC’s Degree Audit System provides an individual evaluation of all degree requirements (General Education Core, Degree Specific, Major Specific, etc.) for student’s officially recorded (Office of Registration and Records) and “what if” plans of study. This evaluation is used to certify all graduation requirements.