Students must complete the required writing intensive courses within the dental hygiene curriculum with a grade of "C" or higher thereby meeting the WEPT requirement for BSDH candidates.
This clinical entry level program is for the individual who wants to go into the field of dental hygiene. The primary goals of the basic preparation bachelor of science degree program in dental hygiene are to prepare dental hygienists to perform competently in clinical practice and to perform competently in clinical practice and/ or community oral health program planning, clinical teaching, special patient care, practice management and research.
Admission to the Clinical Entry Level Program
Admission is on a selective basis and requires more than simply meeting certain course or GPA requirements. Factors considered in the selection process are the candidates' academic credentials, letters of evaluation, a personal interview, motivation and all other information submitted by the candidates. Formal applications for admission to the dental hygiene program must be submitted no later than Feb. 1 of the year that the student desires admission. Classes formally begin each year at the end of August. Minimum requirements and credentials for application are all of the following:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or its equivalent.
- Satisfactory completion of approximately two academic years or 60 semester hours of college. (The 60 semester hours must satisfy the general education requirements, which are specified later in this section. All general education requirements must be completed prior to entrance into the dental hygiene program.)
- Application to UMKC.
- Supplemental application for admission to the Division of Dental Hygiene.
- College transcripts of all college coursework.
- A cumulative college GPA of at least 2.5.
- A college science GPA of at least 2.5.
- Three evaluation and reference forms.
- Personal interview with at least two members of the Dental Hygiene Admissions Committee (interviews will be scheduled after February).
- For international applicants, a satisfactory TOEFL score (at least 550 on the paper test or 213 on the computer-based version).
Notification of Admission
Applications for admission are reviewed by the School of Dentistry Dental Hygiene Student Admissions Committee. After a decision is reached on an application, notification of acceptance is made by mail. The applicant has 30 days from the date of the acceptance letter to make a required non-refundable $100 deposit. This deposit is applied to enrollment fees.
Several applicants are placed on an alternates list. In the event that a position becomes available, an applicant from this list is chosen to fill the vacancy. Alternates may be accepted through the first week of the program.