Students new to UMKC should send transcripts and applications for admission to:
UMKC Office of Admissions
5100 Rockhill Road
Kansas City, MO 64110-2499
Initial admission at the freshman or sophomore level will be as a pre-professional major to the School of Education in accordance with regular UMKC admissions standards. For students interested in music education, admission will be to the Conservatory.
Due to program accreditation requirements all students (both first-year college and transfer) will need to submit ACT or SAT scores to UMKC for review.
Current UMKC students or transfer students seeking entry into professional teacher preparation programs should apply for admission to Teacher Education when they anticipate completion of the majority of their pre-professional coursework. The major map for each degree option details the appropriate sequence of pre-professional courses and optimal application term: http://umkc.edu/majormaps.
Students must have a current cumulative GPA of at least a 2.75 to be eligible to submit an application for admission into the Professional Education Program of their choice. Cumulative GPA includes all UMKC and/or University of Missouri-system coursework for native students and all transfer coursework for transfer students. Professional Teacher Education cohorts are admitted each fall term. More information may be found at https://education.umkc.edu/student-services/teacher-candidates/.
Full Admission into the Profession-level Teacher Education Program requires:
- Completion of Pre-professional requirements (prerequisites and subject/content area coursework) with a GPA of 3.0 or higher in content courses, 3.0 or higher in all TCH-ED courses and 3.0 or higher overall (cumulative).
- Passing scores on the Missouri General Education Assessment (MoGEA) OR composite score of 20 or higher on the ACT.
- Passing scores on the Missouri Content Assessment (MoCA) for all K-12, Middle School and Secondary Education students.
- Note – K-12 Foreign Language Applicants are waived from the MoCA as an admission requirement, but will be required to take the MoCA after gaining admission to the Professional-level Teacher Education Program. See the relevant major map for guidance on when to complete the MoCA.
- Completion of all General Education classes.
- FBI background check clearance.
- Interview with faculty.
- Middle School and Secondary Education students must be fully admitted to the professional program by fall 2020 in order to complete the Bachelor of Arts program at the School of Education.
The School of Education requires all students to have current professional liability insurance during all field experiences and student teaching. Students must provide verification of current professional liability insurance to the Educational Field Experiences office. Students can obtain this insurance by becoming a “student member” of educational organizations (e.g., MSTA or NEA), both of which provide this insurance, or they may purchase coverage through an independent insurance agent.
Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
Students who have earned a baccalaureate degree in another field and wish to become certified teachers while earning a master’s degree should apply to the School of Graduate Studies for the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT). Academic work completed prior to admission will be reviewed on a course-by-course basis to determine applicability to teacher certification requirements. More information on the MAT and prerequisites can be found at https://education.umkc.edu/academics/masters-program/ma-in-teaching/.