The UMKC School of Education has been committed to professional education in the Kansas City metropolitan area for 60 years. Throughout the School's history, faculty have an established record of involvement in educational reform - exemplified through innovative teaching methods, action-based research, and community-focused programs preparing teachers, administrators, and mental health professionals for the challenges in urban communities today and for the future.
The primary objectives of the School of Education, which stem from our conceptual framework, mission, and values, are:
- To provide sound theoretical foundations and practical skills at the undergraduate and graduate levels required for competent performance by teachers, administrators and special-services personnel in schools, colleges and universities in a culturally pluralistic society.
- To provide graduate education and research skills which are supportive of and lead to advanced levels of scholarly achievement.
- To provide a diversity of specialized education and training programs for persons engaged in educational roles in non-school settings such as governmental agencies, social service agencies, mental and physical health care institutions, business and industrial organizations and private practice.
- To provide leadership, consultation and other support services for quality improvement in planning and conducting educational programs in schools, higher education institutions, and community agencies and organizations.
- To provide professional development opportunities for educators at all levels through specially designed programs in research, continuing education instruction, in-service programs and workshops.
- To impact the student learning in classrooms and communities throughout Missouri and the Kansas City metropolitan region in positive and meaningful ways.
- To make original contributions to the broad field of professional education through basic and applied research by both faculty and students with specific emphasis on issues of urban education.