Director: Brenda L. Bethman, Ph.D. Contact Information
The mission of the Women’s Center at the University of Missouri-Kansas City is to advocate, educate, and provide support services for the advancement of women's equity at the University and within the community at large.
In support of this mission, the Women’s Center:
- Facilitates student development through co-curricular experiences that affirm students’ identities and foster leadership opportunities;
- Assists the University in achieving its retention goals by offering programming and services that promote student success;
- Recognizes, celebrates, and promotes awareness of the multicultural realities of women’s lives, particularly across race, sexual orientation, gender expression and identity, class, age, and abilities;
- Develops women leaders by providing mentoring opportunities and leadership development programs;
- Develops and sponsors programming that enhances the skills of women and assists in their development as students, scholars, and professionals;
- Fosters awareness of the effects of gender roles on women and men;
- Builds alliances and promotes collaboration among University departments and community organizations to utilize existing resources to effectively serve a diverse community of women;
- Promotes the effective and constructive feminist activism of UMKC students, staff, faculty and community members;
- Serves as a resource for the campus and Greater Kansas City communities on issues related to women’s lives.