General Graduate Admission Policies
Minimum Admission Requirements
Graduates of schools outside the U.S. may be considered for admission to a graduate degree program at UMKC, subject to the following criteria.
- They must have completed a course of study at least the equivalent of a U.S. baccalaureate degree.
- They must have above-average grades in previous college study.
- They are required to establish proof of adequate English proficiency as part of the UMKC admissions process. Applicants from countries in which English might be one of the official languages, but is not necessarily the first language of the majority of the population, must attain a minimum composite score of either 213(CBT) or 80(iBT) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or a score of 6.0 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to be considered for admission.1 The results of the examination must be received in the UMKC International Student Affairs Office before the application deadline. Exceptions to this policy:
- Non-native speakers who hold degrees or diplomas from post-secondary institutions in English-speaking countries [the full list of countries may be found http://info.UMKC.edu/ISAO/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Countries-Exempt-from-TOEFL-or-IELTS.pdf], provided they have spent a minimum of two years or a total of 60 credit hours in successful full-time study there and English was the medium of instruction.
- International transfer students from other institutions in the United States or Canada who have spent a minimum of two years in successful full-time study.
- In addition to 1 through 3 above, international graduate students must satisfy any program-specific admission criteria. For instance, the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is required for applicants for graduate study toward the M.B.A. degree. Several programs require TOEFL scores that are well above the minimum stated previously. The Graduate Record Examination (GRE), including the appropriate Advanced Test, is either required or strongly recommended for all other international graduate applicants. International students planning to apply are directed to consult the appropriate degree program listing for additional criteria and medical requirements.
For TOEFL information contact
Request official TOEFL scores be sent to UMKC's institution code 6872.
For IELTS contact
The International English Language Testing System
Request official IELTS scores be sent to
UMKC International Student Affairs
Detailed information can be obtained from U.S. embassies, consulates general, bi-national centers and other offices throughout the world.
As noted in the general section on graduate admissions, the graduate degree programs at UMKC have varying schedules for receiving, reviewing and acting on applications for admission. Applicants are directed to the program listings elsewhere in this catalog. This institution reserves the right to consider applicants for the most appropriate term.
Required Academic Records for International Applicants
Applicants must provide complete and official certificates of all degrees, diplomas, mark sheets, grade reports and examination records. If documents are in another language, applicants must also provide a literal English translation.
Deadline for Application for Admission International students must present evidence of sufficient finances to cover their university and personal expenses while they are attending UMKC. A prescribed financial statement must be completed and returned with their other application materials. UMKC will not assume any financial responsibility for international students. Students seeking admission to the graduate level after an undergraduate program must submit a new financial support statement. Student Financial Statement
Additional Information and Forms
International applicants to graduate programs who want more information and forms to apply for admission can go to http://www.umkc.edu/isao or write:
International Student Affairs
University of Missouri-Kansas City
Student Success Center, G-04
5000 Holmes Street
Kansas City, MO 64110-2499, U.S.A.
Forms to apply for graduate admission can also be downloaded from one of the following Web sites: