BS-MS: Computer Science
Student Learning Outcomes
Students graduating from this program will:
- Be able to apply knowledge of discrete structures and computer organization appropriate to the discipline.
- Be able to design, implement, and evaluate a computer-based system, process, component, or program to meet desired needs.
- Be able to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- Develop solutions for advanced problems using appropriate skills and knowledge in computer science.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge in an area of specialization.
- Recognize and apply state of the art techniques and tools in the field.
- Plan and conduct scholarly activities.
- Communicate effectively in both written and oral forms.
- Recognize the need for and ability to engage in life-long learning.
- Understand ethical and professional responsibilities.
- Work effectively in teams.
The School of Science and Engineering established the BS/MS program to offer students an opportunity to meet the full requirements of the existing BS and MS degree programs in a shorter time period than the separate degree programs by completing a B.S. degree within four years and then completing an M.S. degree in the fifth year.
- Students admitted to the program will receive the SCE BS/MS Scholarship which will cover the difference between Graduate and Undergraduate tuition rates
- Students are required to maintain full-time undergraduate enrollment (minimum 12 hours/ semester)
- Must be continuously enrolled from BS to MS programs (must enter graduate program the semester following completion of BS degree requirements, summer excepted)
- Students are required to maintain full-time enrollment (minimum 9 hours/semester) in the graduate phase of the program and complete the master's degree within a year of their bachelor's degree completion to continue to receive the BS/MS Scholarship
Admission Requirements for BS/MS Program:
Students must meet the following requirements to be eligible:
- The GRE will be waived for students who meet the qualifications above and are planning to enroll in the BS/MS program
- Students must indicate their interest and apply to the program no later than the end of their junior year
- Students must complete 30 hours at UMKC prior to admission to the BS/MS program
- Students are expected to follow the recommended curriculum (although deviations are possible) and must maintain a UMKC cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher
This program offers students an opportunity to meet the full requirements of the existing BS and MS degree programs in a shorter time period than the separate degree programs by completing a B.S. degree in Computer Science within four years, and then completing an M.S. degree in Computer Science in their fifth year. Please contact the SS&C Student Services Center for additional information or clarification on the information below by calling (816) 235-2399, or sending an e-mail to mailto:email@example.com.
Requirements for Graduation
Credit Hour Requirements
The BS and MS program in Computer Science requires:
- 120 Undergraduate Credit Hours,
- 24 Graduate Credit Hours,
- 6 General Elective hours that can be satisfied at any level,
- 150 Total Credit Hours.
For additional details, please contact our Department by phone (816) 235-1193 or by e-mail mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.