UMKC offers post-master’s nurse practitioner certificate programs for students who possess an M.S.N. or D.N.P. and who wish to pursue a nurse practitioner certificate in a specialty area of care (tracks) without completing another degree. Please refer to the Graduate Admissions page on the SoNHS website for more information regarding admission and required materials.
The sample plans of study listed represent the minimum required courses. Based on previous course work, additional courses may be required as determined by each certification board*. After admission is confirmed, a gap analysis and individualized program of study will be completed and developed based on previous course work. The following courses are the usual prerequisite graduate level course work (or equivalent) to be completed prior to or as part of the certificate program of study. These courses may be from your MSN graduate program or completed at UMKC with your certificate hours. Completion of Post-MSN Nurse Practitioner certificates meets the educational requirements to be eligible to sit for the national accreditation exam in that area.
*Minimum requirements from certification boards include the following:
Advanced pharmacology/applied pharmacology
Advanced health assessment across the lifespan
Diagnostic Reasoning for the APRN
The certificate options available are listed below:
- Post-MSN Acute Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Post-MSN Acute Care Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Post-MSN Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Post-MSN Family Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Post-MSN Neonatal nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Post-MSN Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Post-MSN Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Post-MSN Women's Health Nurse Practitioner Certificate