Student Success Services
UMKC recognizes that in order for students to be successful in the classroom, students need to be supported outside of the classroom and throughout all stages of their college career: from their first connection with Enrollment Management services, through Academic Support, to Student Engagement. An enriching and engaging university life experience integrates with students’ academic development to support students’ success and graduation.
The University offices and programs listed below provide students with a wide variety of co-curricular services designed to support personal, academic, and professional development.
More details can be found in the UMKC Student Handbook. In addition, feel free to contact the Student Services Offices located in the Academic Units.
You may also contact the UMKC Student HelpLine at 816.235.2222 for questions about policies, procedures, resources, and general questions about the university.
Enrollment Management Services:
- UMKC Central is a one-stop place for students to take care of their core business transactions related to Admissions, Financial Aid and Scholarships, Cashiers and Collections, and Registration and Records.
- The Office of Admissions coordinates admission of undergraduate, graduate and professional programs, as well as visiting, community, and dual credit high school program applications to the university.
- To schedule a visit to UMKC, please visit the Welcome Center.
- The Admissions Office serves domestic students, which include U.S. citizens, and students who have been granted Permanent Residency, Deferred Action Childhood Arrival (DACA), Assylee, or Refugee status.
- The Office of Admissions coordinates orientation programs for new freshmen and transfer students. For freshmen starting in the Summer or Fall semesters, attending an orientation program is mandatory.
- International visa students should apply through International Student Affairs, which also provides immigration advising and orientation check-ins for new students and scholars.
- The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office provides financial assistance to students who otherwise would be unable to attend UMKC and administers campus-wide merit- and talent-based scholarship programs. The office is also charged with ensuring compliance with financial aid regulations and policies.
- Registration and Records provides accurate and professional registration and records services to ensure the integrity of official student records while enforcing academic policies.
- UMKC Student HelpLine answers questions about policies, procedures, resources, and general questions about campus.
- The UMKC Student Veterans Virtual Resource Center is a comprehensive website dedicated to providing military Service-members and Veterans with tools and resources to be successful students.
Make sure you make an appointment to speak with Academic Advising for your program.
If you are undecided about your academic program, connect with University College.
Academic Support and Mentoring offers key support services, including:
Supplemental Instruction, which is an internationally-recognized peer-led learning program that targets historically difficult courses.
Math and Science Tutoring, which provides free tutoring services for math, biology, and chemistry courses.
Be sure to check with your academic department for other program-specific tutoring resources.
Need assistance with a writing assignment? Connect with the UMKC Writing Studio.
Tutoring for foreign language classes can be found in the Language Resource Center.
For more information about academic access and accommodations for students with a disability, contact UMKC’s Student Disability Services.
Find out how to prepare now for your future by visiting with UMKC Career Services.
Design your own undergraduate research (SEARCH) project with a faculty mentor.
Broaden your horizons with International Academic Programs for study abroad opportunities.
- Testing Services provides a comprehensive offering of examinations for admission, licensure, and professional certification.
- The UMKC Bookstores are committed to finding the most affordable course materials to match a student’s learning style, including digital access and rental options. Get your textbooks, Roo Gear, school supplies, and technology at the Student Union Bookstore or the Health Sciences Bookstore.
The Office of Student Involvement provides co-curricular and leadership development opportunities for students.
UMKC promotes and celebrates the diversity of our campus. Check out the resources and events programmed by these offices:
- Be sure to know your Student Rights and Responsibilities regarding student conduct.
- The UMKC Title IX Office helps students, faculty, staff and visitors get the support they need if they experience sex-based discrimination including: sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, stalking on the basis of sex, intimate partner and/or relationship violence, and sexual exploitation.
- UMKC’s Violence Prevention and Response program provides support, advocacy, awareness education, and prevention training to help end sexual violence and harassment.
- If you have any questions about Title IX, or to report an incident, contact the UMKC Title IX Coordinator, Mikah Thompson at 816.235.6910.
If you get sick or have a health question, contact Student Health & Wellness to make an appointment.
UMKC Counseling Services are available for all students if you need to talk things through with a caring, confidential professional.
- Explore the on-campus housing facilities offered by Residential Life—more than just a home-away-from home, our facilities provide an ideal living and learning environment.
Check out the fitness classes and workout facilities offered by Swinney Recreation Center. There is also an annex at the Hospital Hill Apartments.
- The UMKC Student Union provides a welcoming and sustainable environment that values the diversity of all UMKC students, serving as the campus living room and central hub for student programming and engagement.
- The Atterbury Student Success Center provides a central location for specially designed to promote academic success. The offices located in the Student Success Center work together seamlessly to provide students with the support they need to develop, grow and graduate.