Graduate Course Restrictions for Undergraduates
In addition to regularly admitted graduate students, seniors who meet the requirements below, and who have obtained the necessary approvals and received permission from the School of Graduate Studies may enroll in a limited number of courses numbered in the 5000 series and above, or may enroll in appropriate 300- and 400-level courses for graduate credit.
• Seniors within 12 credits of graduation who have a 3.0 GPA or better in their college work; or
• Seniors within 30 credits of graduation who have a 3.5 GPA in their college work.
To request permission to take a graduate-level course, the senior must:
1. Obtain a request to take graduate-level course form and an advising transcript from the Registrar's Office. (Forms also are available on-line at http://sgs.umkc.edu/forms/
2. Fill out the request to take graduate-level course form, with all required signatures, and attach a copy of the advising transcript.
3. Submit the form to the School of Graduate Studies for final approval no later than four weeks before regular registration.
In all cases, eligible students may enroll in no more than six credits of graduate-level courses or courses for graduate credit through this procedure. In addition, first-semester seniors who enroll in graduate-level courses are limited to a total enrollment of no more than 15 hours for the semester. Graduate-level courses (5000 and above) are to be selected from those courses generally offered to first-semester or first-year graduate students. Courses such as special topics, individual studies and directed research designed for advanced graduate students are not eligible under these provisions.
Students may petition that the courses can be taken for graduate credit or undergraduate credit. Credit may be applied to requirements for a graduate or a bachelor's degree, but not both unless the course is part of an approved Bachelor's-Master's Dual Degree program or Bachelor's-Graduate Certificate program to which the student has already been admitted.
Requests by students who meet all the requirements stated above will be approved by the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies or designated representative. In exceptional cases, students who do not meet the requirements stated above may present a petition to the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies. Such petitions must be presented to the school no later than four weeks before the beginning of the term for which enrollment is sought.
Students who do not meet the above criteria but who register for a graduate-level course will be withdrawn administratively from the course. Fees paid for the course will be refunded.