Degree-seeking graduate students whose degree program requires foreign language proficiency may take the courses numbered 120, 211 or 221 (Elementary Level II, Second Year Level I or Second Year Level II) in one foreign language to fulfill the requirement (check with your graduate advisor to determine what proficiency level and language your degree program demands). The degree program will determine what grade will be accepted as proof of fulfillment.

Students who already have the required level of proficiency but no documented means of showing it may choose to take the final exam associated with the appropriate class level to fulfill their degree program’s language requirement (course number 120, 211 or 221). After taking the exam a letter stating the student’s results will be sent to the graduate advisor of the student’s degree program.

To arrange to take the exam, please contact the undergraduate advisor for your language or contact the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures secretary for more information. 

(For students whose program allows a general interest reading exam, the Foreign Languages and Literatures Department’s approved exam is administered by American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). Please contact the department for information on how to register for this on-line exam).