Master's Degree Transfer Credit

A maximum of 20 percent of the graduate credit hours appearing on the program of study (rounded up) may be transferred from a recognized graduate school for a master's degree at UMKC. Such transfer credits must meet with approval of the student's supervisory committee and appropriate principal graduate advisor or graduate officer and be in accordance with all of the following criteria:

1. The coursework must be:

•    Offered by a formerly regionally accredited school*.

•    Applied toward a graduate degree at the host institution and taken for graduate credit.

•    Approved by the appropriate graduate faculty.

2. A grade of B (3.0) or higher for 300- and 400-level courses and C (2.0) or higher for 5000-level courses or other courses restricted to graduate students only must have been earned. (CR or P will be accepted on receipt of a statement from the institution where credit was received of letter grade equivalent meeting grade standards as stated above).

Transfer credit may be allowed for correspondence courses, provided the credits meet the criteria outlined in 1 and 2 above. Transfer credit will not be accepted for research and thesis/dissertation hours (defined by UMKC), travel experience or work/life experience. Foreign university transfer credit must meet the above criteria as attested by the registrar.

A majority of the coursework applicable to any graduate degree at UMKC must be completed at UMKC. UM traveling scholar credits are not considered transfer credits. However, the sum total of credits from other UM campuses, and other transfer credits (not more than 20 percent of the total credits) cannot exceed 14 credits on a 30-credit master's degree program, or a proportional equivalent (approximately 46 percent) on programs exceeding 30 credits; and must be within the limits stated above.

A student who has been awarded a master's degree at UMKC or another regionally accredited graduate school may petition the faculty to apply up to six hours of graduate credit earned on the first degree toward meeting the requirements of a second master's degree. Credit, so approved, not from UMKC will be subject to all preceding transfer credit criteria.

After approval of the program of study, graduate credit may be earned at another institution only with prior approval of the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies. Forms to request such approval are available from the Registrar's Office. A current catalog of the institution where the course is to be taken or an official catalog description of each course must be attached to the request form. The official transcript for such work must be forwarded to the Registrar's Office upon completion of the course.

*The University of Missouri - Kansas City accepts transfer work from institutions that were formerly accredited by a Regional Accrediting agency per the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), specifically:

  • Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACCJC)
  • Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
  • Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
  • New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE)
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
  • WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)