Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without discrimination on the basis of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or military organizations associated with the Armed Forces of the United States of America.
Equal Opportunity is and shall be also provided for all students and applicants for admission in compliance with existing legislation.
The Affirmative Action office is responsible for coordinating UMKC's Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity program, monitoring the University's compliance with federal and state laws, regulations and the investigation of discrimination and harassment complaints by students, faculty and staff against University employees. Additional information may be found on the Affirmative Action website: http://info.umkc.edu/hr/affirmative-action/ .
Chapter 600: Equal Employment/Educational Opportunity
- 600.010 Equal Employment/Educational Opportunity and Nondiscrimination Policy
- 600.020 Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment and Sexual Misconduct in Education/Employment Policy
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 is a federal law that prohibits sex discrimination in education. It reads:
“ No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal Financial Assistance” -Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and its implementing regulations at 34 C. F. R. Part 106.
Sex discrimination includes sexual harassment, assault, and/or violence.
Title IX is often thought of as the law that applies to athletic programs, Title IX is much broader than Athletics and applies to all programs at UMKC.
While compliance with the law is everyone’s responsibility at UMKC, you can find a list of staff members below who have primary responsibility for Title IX compliance.
- 600.030 Equity Resolution Process for Resolving Complaints of Discrimination, Harassment, and Sexual Misconduct against a Student or Student Organization
- 600.040 Equity Resolution Process for Resolving Complaints of Discrimination, Harassment, and Sexual Misconduct against a Faculty Member
- 600.050 Equity Resolution Process for Resolving Complaints of Discrimination, Harassment, and Sexual Misconduct against a Staff Member
- 600.060 Equity Resolution Process for Resolving Complaints of Discrimination and Harassment against the University of Missouri
- 600.070 Policy Related to Students with Disabilities
- 600.080 Policy Related to Employees with Disabilities