Three types of Latin honors are awarded to those UMKC School of Law graduates who have achieved academic distinction, they are:
- Summa Cum Laude ("with highest honor")
- Magna Cum Laude ("with great honor")
- Cum Laude ("with honor")
While the University’s degree regulations provide some restrictions on the number of graduates in each class that may receive Latin honors which may reduce the percentage of students graduating with Latin honors in each category, in general, Latin honors are awarded as follows:
- Summa: A student with at least a 3.7 GPA who is also ranked in the top 5 percent of the graduating class.
- Magna: A student with at least a 3.5 GPA who is also ranked in the top 10 percent of the graduating class.
- Cum Laude: A student who is in the top 20 percent of the graduating class.