Graduate Continuous Enrollment Policy

Graduate Continuous Enrollment Requirement

All degree-seeking graduate students must remain continuously enrolled in each regular semester up to and including the semester in which their degrees are awarded. Regular semesters include the fall semester (August-December) and the spring semester (January-May). This requirement applies also to the summer term for students whose degrees are being awarded at the end of a summer term. This continuous enrollment must be for a minimum of one-hour credit in research and thesis, research and dissertation, or other work designated by the department or school. Departments may require additional credit hours in relation to the amount of time required of faculty or the use of University facilities.

UMKC's Leave of Absence policy provides a means for students to take an approved Leave of Absence from a degree program for a maximum of two semesters (e.g. Fall and Spring or Summer and Fall). Interruption of continuous registration and the lack of an approved Leave of Absence will constitute failure to comply with this requirement and will result in the need for readmission under requirements effective at the time of readmission.

Graduate students in good standing who have not enrolled for one or two semesters may utilize the shortened Readmitted student Application Process (some exclusions apply).  Students who attend other schools in the interim must submit transcripts of such work from each institution attended. Graduate students are considered inactive after a lapse of two or more regular semesters of enrollment. Subsequently, inactive graduate students who want to continue,  and do not qualify for the Readmitted student Application Process, must follow the same admission procedures as those required for new applicants. All students will enter under requirements in effect at the time of readmission.

Continuous Graduate Enrollment (5899)

Courses designated as 5899, Continuous Graduate Enrollment, are charged at the rate established for one credit hour. Enrollment must be completed by the end of the first week of a regular semester or of a summer session. Students may obtain a reference number for 5899 from the schedule of classes. Financial Aid may NOT be used to pay for one credit hour in 5899, because it is not a traditionally-graded course.