The University of Missouri-Kansas City has an amnesty policy to enable those students who did not perform adequately in their undergraduate enrollment within the University of Missouri System (UM System) to be given a second chance to pursue their undergraduate academic goals. The policy is as follows:
Students who are transferring or returning to the University of Missouri – Kansas City to pursue an undergraduate degree after an extended absence from all UM System schools (University of Missouri – Kansas City, Missouri S&T, University of Missouri-Columbia, and University of Missouri – St. Louis) may request permission to remove one or more of their complete academic terms for future degree and GPA considerations.
A student may apply for amnesty if the following two requirements are met:
- Has not been enrolled at UMKC or any other UM System School at any time during the past two years
- Applies for amnesty at the time of the application for readmission or before the end of the first semester of readmission if already readmitted
Amnesty will be implemented as follows:
- Grades for ALL courses taken in the period of time for which amnesty is requested will be removed from the grade point average if the request is approved. The student may not choose specific courses within a term or period.
- The original UM System grade will remain on the student’s UMKC transcript, but will be marked by an “X” preceding the grade. For plus/minus grades, the plus or minus will be dropped and the base grade will be used. For example, grades of A, B+, B, B-...F would be changed to XA, XB, ...XF. These hours and grades will remain on the transcript, but will not count toward cumulative hours nor GPA, nor can they be used to fulfill any degree requirements, regardless of the original grade.
- UMKC Academic Amnesty actions will not alter or be recorded on the student’s academic record or impact GPA calculations of the originating UM System School since this is a campus-based policy and varies by UM System School. However, UMKC’s Academic Amnesty policy may be applied to terms completed at any UM System school contributing to the UMKC calculation of system-wide cumulative GPA.
- A statement “Grades granted amnesty by faculty committee action” (or similar) will follow the last course on terms granted amnesty.
- When amnesty is approved, changes to the transcript will be made after the fourth week of classes in the term in which the student re-enrolls. If the student withdraws before the end of that term, all course grades will be changed back to the grades that appeared prior to amnesty.
- Students can receive amnesty at UMKC only one time (for one or multiple terms recorded by any UM System School) in their lifetime.