In 1895, three young lawyers with energy and vision, William P. Borland, Edward D. Ellison and Elmer N. Powell, founded the Kansas City School of Law with the active assistance of leading members of the bench and bar. Borland, the first dean of the school, was elected to Congress in 1910 and was succeeded by Ellison, who served as dean until the School of Law merged with the University of Kansas City in 1938. After affiliation with the University of Missouri System in 1963, the school assumed its present name as the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law.
To be a model urban public law school for the 21st century that economically and efficiently delivers excellent legal education, serves as an intellectual leader in law, and increases access to justice for our community
To provide student-centered, community-connected, justice-driven legal education and scholarship
We pursue our mission with integrity and a genuine respect for people, for knowledge and ideas, and for justice