The Masters Degree in Health Professions Education (MHPE) provides an educational research foundation for teaching, assessment and leadership in health professions education. The MHPE curriculum is comprised of twelve courses which focus on the application of learning principles to educational practice. All courses emphasize an applied project based on students’ professional experiences. The educational portfolio serves as an integrative tool across courses and as a showcase for student accomplishments.
- Inter-professional–For all health education professionals
- Educational research foundation–Evidence-based decision making
- Application–Based on solving real instructional problems in health professions education
- Professional Portfolio–Documents learning goals and accomplishments
- Summer Health Professions Education Mini-Conference–Student-facilitated health professions education conference
- Online and Blended–Most coursework is online with occasional in-class meeting
Student Learning Outcomes
Students graduating from this program will:
- Have the ability to understand and apply educational research in health professions education.
- Have the ability to design evidence-based educational programs and materials.
- Have the ability to deliver effective, theory-based instruction in large, small and clinical group settings.
- Have the ability to effectively use assessment tools to reflect student progress in learning.
- Have the ability to evaluate the effectiveness of programs, curricula and instructional events.
- Have the ability to develop cultural awareness and commitment to diversity.
- Have the ability to provide reflective and evidence-based leadership.
A minimum of 36 credit hours are required to earn the Master of Health Professions Education degree. Students must complete the program of study while maintaining a 3.0 or better grade point average.
|MEDB 5501||Biostatistics I||3|
|HPRE 5500||Leadership and Administration in Health Professions Education||3|
|HPRE 5508||Principles and Methods of Research||3|
|HPRE 5522||Curriculum Design in Health Professions Education||3|
|HPRE 5530||Current Issues in Health Professions Education||3|
|HPRE 5535||Community Engagement in Education||3|
|HPRE 5550||Assessment in Health Professions Education||3|
|HPRE 5560||Teaching in Health Professions Education||3|
|HPRE 5566||Teaching about Culture and Health||3|
|HPRE 5580||Program Evaluation in Health Professions Education||3|
|HPRE 5588||Learning Portfolio in Health Professions Education||3|
|HPRE 5599||Summer Conference in Health Professions Education||3|