Graduate Ineligibility Policies
Ineligibility Following Academic Probation
In the case of ineligibility following academic probation (see Graduate Probation Policy), the graduate student may present a petition for re-enrollment to the principal graduate advisor of the student's academic program. Petitions will be reviewed by the graduate faculty member responsible for the student's degree program. That faculty member will make a written recommendation to the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies, who will approve or deny the petition. The approval or denial action may include:
- Approval for further graduate study in the student's current field of study and in the same classification but on a restricted probation basis (as defined in written remediation plan contract).
- Approval for further graduate study in the student's current field of study in a different student classification and on a restricted basis.
- Denial for further graduate study in the student's current field but approval for undergraduate study only.
- Denial for further study, either graduate or undergraduate, in the student's current field of study.
- Denial for further graduate study at UMKC.
Ineligibility Due to Unsatisfactory Progress or Performance
When a department, school or program, irrespective of a student's grade-point average, considers a graduate student's performance to be unsatisfactory, that department, school, or program may recommend to the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies that the student be reclassified or declared ineligible for further study and therefore the student be dismissed from the degree program. The Dean of the School of Graduate Studies reviews the recommendation and conveys a decision to the student, respective faculty group, and academic unit Dean.
Students who have been dismissed from the degree program due to unsatisfactory progress or performance may appeal such decisions to the Provost, as the Chief Academic Officer of the University. Such appeals must be made in writing within 14 consecutive days after receipt of the notification to the student of the decision.
The decision of the Provost, as the Chancellor's designated representative in such cases, is final and will be communicated in writing to the following:
1. The student
2. The Dean of the School of Graduate Studies
3. The graduate faculty review group(s)
4. The academic dean or director
5. The Registrar