Graduate Admissions Policy
Graduate admission committees in each academic unit review applications and make recommendations for admission to the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies for final approval. Applicants must satisfy both the general campus requirements and the program-specific admission criteria for graduate study.
The general campus requirements for admission to graduate study in all UMKC graduate programs include:
- A bachelor's or first-level professional degree from a regionally accredited institution. If the degree is from a non-U.S. college or university, the institution must be recognized and approved by the Ministry of Education or Commission responsible for higher education in the country where the degree is earned. The degree must at least be equivalent to a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree or first-level professional degree. The Registrar will vet and make a recommendation to Dean of School of Graduate Studies for approval.
- A satisfactory academic record.
For program-specific requirements, applicants should consult the pertinent degree program listing in the UMKC catalog.
Many UMKC graduate degree programs require satisfactory scores from national examinations (e.g., Graduate Record Exam).
Graduate degree programs at UMKC have varying schedules for receiving, reviewing and acting on applications for admission. Applicants are directed to the program listings elsewhere in this catalog. This institution reserves the right to consider applicants for the most appropriate term.
Additional International Student Admission Policies
Proof of English Proficiency
International student applicants are required to establish proof of adequate English proficiency as part of the UMKC graduate admissions process. Applicants from countries in which English might be one of the official languages, but is not necessarily the first language of the majority of the population, must attain a minimum composite score on one of the following tests to be considered for admission:
- 213 (CBT) or 79 (iBT) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL),
- 6.0 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), with score of 5.5 in all bands
- 105 on the Duolingo English Test (DET)
- 1205 (paper) or 1200 (CBT) on the Global Test of English Communication (GTEC)
- 53 on the Pearson Test of English (PTE)
The results of the examination must be received by the UMKC International Student Affairs Office before the application deadline.
Required Academic Records for International Applicants
Applicants must provide complete and official certificates of all degrees, diplomas, mark sheets, grade reports and examination records. If documents are in another language, applicants must also provide a literal English translation.
International Applicants and Student Financial Statement
International students must present evidence of sufficient finances to cover their university and personal expenses while they are attending UMKC. A prescribed financial statement must be submitted with the other application materials. UMKC will not assume any financial responsibility for international students. Students seeking admission to the graduate level after an undergraduate program must submit a new financial support statement.